Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Exhausted Fumes

Unfasten your seatbelts folks; it’s going to be a short ride. I’m guessing things have happened on planet earth this week, but from a cloistered, myopic viewpoint, I have little to report or say as my eyes try to refocus, temporarily shifting from the tiny world of beads, charms, rivets and rusty metal to the larger screen of font and photographs.

Groom and I have been on the road for most of May and we are scheduled to leave in a week for Spokane’s ArtFest. This means creating in a high-pressure cooker and I am not a create in a high-pressure cooker kind of person, especially when we are in the midst of designing a new line of jewelry, so everything is experimental and takes about a hundred times longer.

For instance, I was operating under the misimpression that a jewelers saw blade had teeth only for metal and was not interested in human flesh, much like a cast cutter. Wrong! I am now cured of that dubious information. Slicing through copper, my saw blade jumped course and landed on my left index finger with a little muscle behind it, leaving serrated skin in its wake. Whoo-ey, makes me know I’m alive.

Speaking of alive, I must take this opportunity to wish a couple people Happy Birthday. Val and Gypsy Sole, you know who you are, so many happy returns. S’pose I could mention other birthday boys and girls like musician Lenny Kravitz, actress Helena Bonham Carter, or Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, but that would simply be empty calorie space-filling, so I’ll probably skip it.

The truly juicy gossip is always off-limits and forbidden territory, so I must skirt around it, painting over it with a second-string line up much like brushing latex over rust. Oh well…

Eeek, Groom is getting scruffy and needs a haircut, the house is just begging for a cleaning, my correspondence requires answering, the clothes I’d like to wear for dinner this evening are wrinkly, my belly is growling because it’s time for breakfast. Gee, my inner thoughts are spellbinding, aren’t they?

Ooh ooh, we did witness a spectacular rainbow this week though, two octaves of color with shades of hot pink thrown in for good measure. Part of the sequestering, in addition to focusing on work, has been because of the rain. The weather report has been the same, I wanna say for weeks now, rain, precipitation, 93% humidity with a chance of T-storms in the afternoon. Walls of grey, a ceiling of slate, the color of granite underfoot. It’s enough to make one beg for a little variety in the color palette, so thank you rainbow!

I suppose like the Inuit and their expanded vocabulary for snow, those of us residing in the Pacific Northwest, also know our shaded scale. Let’s see, there’s charcoal, iron, lead, silver, slate, ashen, mousy, powder, oyster, gunmetal, dove, pearl, sere, withering, cement, pebble, depression, mourning, aluminum, stainless steel, space age metal, titanium…

Oh, and the photographs? Did we have our cameras with us for rainbow preservation? Nooo, because it was raining. However, this week’s pics picks are random shots that we’d like to share. Remember, and I haven’t said this in awhile, you can always enlarge for better details by clicking on them and then hitting the back button to return to the blog.



Yep, many happy returns!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for everything! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in Mexico looking at your posts and getting hungery with the amazing food images...But then the " sawdust bucket came out" Hmm not hungry anymore..Love the images of the trip around portland and other images from your travels...
    bee bug

    ReplyDelete