Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Home Frida

Good Morning or Evening, I have no idea what time or day it is. We just returned from our trip to Japan and I am writing this in a jet-lagged stupor, so I will probably be surprised when I read it later.

The room is spinning, and no, I’ve not been drinking. My eyes are crossed and I woke up with a cold, but at least my body had the courtesy to wait until it got home.

This entry isn’t the full-blown synopsis of what happened, because I’ve not yet had the luxury of processing it, as the physical journey has just now ended. We woke up yesterday in Osaka, had a full day of packing and getting our heavy bags and selves to the Kansai Airport, flying all night and landing in San Francisco the morning of the same day. March 24th was Ground Hog’s day for us as we lived it twice.

To answer the most frequently asked question, Yes, we had a great time, Yes, it was worth every minute, penny and yen. We would go again in a heartbeat.

We discovered that almost every Japanese person carries a cell phone with Internet service, so there weren’t many wi-fi spots to be found, as the general population has no need. Their phones seem to be all-purpose and can do just about anything and the most popular item for sale at every shrine, temple and 7-11 was a charm to hang from a hole in the back of their phones. We noticed several women who had entire collections dangling and sprouting color. Their technology is so advanced, the commercials advertised waterproof phones that could be used if caught in a downpour, taking a shower, soaking in a hot tub, or while scuba diving in the big blue.

We’ve already mentioned the uber cool fancy toilets, but the techno-thingy I had not seen before was a video screen in the dashboard of cars for backing up into impossibly tight spaces, an area in America that would be used for storing a handkerchief or an iPod.

Our luggage is currently plopped on the floor, the contents spilling out as we have not quite unpacked, but the bags seemed determined to start without us. As we collect our belongings and ourselves and make the transition back to the Here, there will be fun photos and quirky moments to share.

Thanks for all your good thoughts, prayers and feedback. It’s always a treat to go somewhere new, but you guys are what make this place home.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome home, I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so...Frida packed lightly w/just one bag and you guys had, like, the other 26 in the background? no wonder it feels like your luggage has started purging w/out you. ;)

    very excited to hear/see all the stories and photos - in due time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I picked up the three of you at our local airport, I must admit that I was amazed at how little you actually brought home. Of course you may have mailed 60 lbs. from Japan, but you did well. You were very kind to forget to mention that after your very long flight(s) home, you got to the home airport to find I had locked the keys in my van. I am very thankful Jimmy had an extra key to bring to us, but you were very kind and patient. I am very glad you are home and hope you are feeling much better - please tell D & C that I'm also glad they are home, too!!

    ReplyDelete