Monday, March 16, 2009

Soaking it in

Ahhhh...Back in Japan. It is starting to feel like I am really here, and yet as much as is familiar is sooo different. Who would have thought that everybody would have aged while I stayed just the same? Well, maybe not just the same -- I keep hearing how thin I am. That would be a great compliment were it not for the fact that they follow up with, "You were so fat back then!"

In my head in know that it is true -- I gained 40lbs in the four months I was here the first time -- but, I so quickly returned to my more natural weight when I returned to the States I never really thought of myself as "so fat." It is a bit shocking to hear that they have held that particular picture of me in their heads for all these years!

It seems that the local economy has also thinned over the years, and I am amazed at the lack of hustle and bustle on once busy streets in this area. Even in the larger city of Tsuyama the shopping center was like a ghost town. Even more distressing, I had my first cup of bad coffee in Japan there. I have been raving about the fact that they served the best coffee in the world for the last 26 years, so that cup nearly brought me to tears.

In their possible defense, they did not speak English and my Japanese is not what it was, so they may have thought they were doing us a favor by making us "American" coffee -- meaning very weak.

This is a land of juxtapositions, though, so my delight has far outweighed any disappointments. The people are still kind and helpful, there is beauty around every corner, and the food is so good that if I were to be here any longer than two weeks I would soon quit hearing how thin I am.

I can see that being here is a great reminder about being in the Now. The tea ceremony is about being at the tea ceremony. Every detail is to be noticed and appreciated. There is no room for who said what yesterday or where am I supposed to be tomorrow -- you must be present.

The same is true for soaking in the Onsen. It is about being in the water. The heat purifies all of the nonsense out of your head, and you scrub the day off of your body before you enter the pools. Worry can't coexist with that level of relaxation.

And Now, it is time to go have some more adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I happen to know you were NOT fat when you went to Japan many years ago. And we have plenty of photos to prove so. I agree with them, though, that it is NOT fair that you look so young and beautiful!! No, I'm not jealous, just resentful. Ooops, I'm not supposed to say that here because this is about positive energy. I am positively resentful. Is that better??
    Continue to enjoy and live in each moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cyndia and Don....

    Great to hear that you are doing well but sorry to hear about the "bad coffee". Things are well here in Eugene and you have missed exactly two nice days of weather since you left. That would be last Friday and today. The rest of the time it's been rainy and chilly. It rained so hard last weekend that a mud/rock slide closed 126 about halfway to the coast, near Walton. Julie Anne sang at the Chef's Night Out at The Hult last night (she looked FABULOUS and her singing was the same) and we enjoyed hobnobbing with some nice folks who each paid $65 bucks to sample the food and drink of some fifty vendors from around town. And it all went to a good cause, the Lane County Food Bank. Other than that, we've seen a few movies-some good, some ok, some bad! And we're still putting things away here. We spent about six hours in the garage when it was so nice last Friday so now we can at least get our cars in there. I think JA has received all of her hat supplies now and she said she's starting tomorrow! So how is the weather? How is Don coping with the language barrier? And how was your trip out of the airport? We can't wait to see you both back safe and sound, with tons 'o pictures and tales. I sure like the sentiment of being in the "now" at all times. By the way, the little blue journal book is from The Traveler shop that closed on Willamette and is hand painted, from Peruvia! Be well and travel safely! Tony

    ReplyDelete